Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is the inability to achieve or sustain the penis erection for sexual intercourse. Any sort of irregularity in blood flow to penis, imbalance in hormone secretion, neurogenic problems, side effects of certain medications and psychological issues can lead to erectile dysfunction. ED has turned out be a very common ailment than we presume it to be. It has partially affected at least half of men aged over 40. While there are umpteen treatment options, people often associate ED as a natural process with age – a clear case of lack of knowledge. We bring you here the ten facts you definitely need to know about ED to clear the haze.
- Never ignore ED – it can be an underlying medical condition. As a matter of fact, it is the most common cause for men aged fifty plus and also suffer from vascular disease that includes coronary artery disease (CAD) and elevated blood pressure. Diabetic men are susceptible to erectile dysfunction and they get easily affected atleast 10 to 15 years earlier than their normal health counterparts.
- Although it is not specifically defined, medical professionals categorize the situation to be ED when failure to achieve erection occurs by more than 50 percent.
- Not only physiological, but psychological reasons can also be the root cause for ED with stress and anxieties usually being the most important spoil sports.
- Sedentary lifestyle and ill habits such as drug abuse, smoking, and alcoholism enhances the chances of ED.
- Occurrence of ED can also be attributed to the side effects of your routine medication for heartburns and blood pressure and other medicines such as antidepressants and antihistamines.
- Few latest surveys hint that dental problems such as periodontal disease or chronic gum diseases are linked with ED.
- Stamp ring test is usually conducted by physicians to find out the root cause – physiological or psychological. Men get multiple erections in the night while sleeping and this fact is effectively employed. A ring of postage stamps are attached to the base of penis in the night and if it is found to be broken in the morning, it is concluded that the chances of ED due to physiological issues are less. Though this is not a fool proof method, it atleast throws light to proceed further.
- To clear the haze of a myth, let us clarify that ED is not related with low libido that points the finger towards lack of desire to engage in sex.
- Let us clean swipe the old tales. There is absolutely no medical link between masturbation and ED. But recent surveys indicate that excessive indulging in visual porn media sites has a mild impact on ED.
- Patients suffering from ED due to vascular diseases show improvements in conditions, if continuous aerobic training is adapted.
Whatever is the cause of ED, it can be best treated only by qualified physician, the reason being the need to find out the root cause of the problem. The shock wave therapy, an alternative treatment for ED due to vascular issues has rendered excellent results for patients in both initial and advanced stage of dysfunction. Poona Preventive Cardiology Center (PPCC) offers erectile dysfunction treatment in Pune through shock wave therapy and is turning a new page in the life of patients who have not succeeded through conventional treatment procedures.