Coronary artery disease is slowly engulfing the lives of people across all ages and walks of life. Is there any way to deal this menace apart from angioplasty and Bypass surgery? Yes, alternative therapies are very much available and the good news is that it is absolutely non-invasive and safe. What is it? Extracorporeal Shockwave Myocardial Revascularization Therapy (ESMR).ESMR has revolutionized the treatment of heart diseases and presents a new lease of life even for end stage heart disease patients.
What is coronary artery disease (CAD)?
Prior to knowing about ESMR, it is pertinent to understand the circumstances that lead to coronary artery disease. Well, we all know that coronary arteries supply the oxygenated blood to heart. When these arteries gets narrowed due to the buildup of plaques, the flow conditions get disturbed and the heart muscles (myocardium) slowly starves of oxygen rich blood. Eventually, it starts deteriorating and triggers several heart problems such an angina, heart attack, or stroke.
What is ESMR?
ESMR Therapy in Pune, also known as Non Invasive Cardiac Angiogenesis Therapy (Ni–CATh) is a new way of treatment that utilizes the potential of extracorporeal shockwave technology to enable myocardial revascularization. In layman terms, it can be best described as usage of shock waves to enhance the blood supply to heart muscles. These shock waves have nothing to do with electricity but refer to low intensity sound waves that are more or less similar to the ultra sound frequencies.
How does it work?
While angioplasty and bypass surgery widens the artery passage or provides alternate path for blood flow respectively, ESMR improves the supply of oxygenated blood to the damaged portion of heart by angiogenesis (formation of new natural blood vessels). In other words, it precisely does the job of by-pass surgery without letting the knife touch any part of your body. As the shock wave generator is specifically designed for the treatment of heart disease, it can efficiently focus any point in the heart muscle. The angiogenesis is triggered by these shock waves and there by improve the blood supply to the heart.
In a nutshell, the salient features of ESMR are:
- Formation of new blood vessels
- Resumption of sufficient supply of oxygenated blood
- Repair of damaged tissues
- Non-invasive and safe procedure
Merits of ESMR
The tag of ‘non-invasive procedure’ alone tilts the scale in the favor of ESMR. Also the other merits associated with ESMR hugely outweigh the conventional treatment options.
- <li”>As it is an outpatient procedure, no hospitalization or sedation is required
- The treatment results produce optimal therapeutic effect. Of the total cycle of 9 sittings, symptomatic relief is attained within 6 sessions. Isn’t it really fast?
- Absolutely safe for patients of all ages
- Very good success rate
- Can easily complement other existing treatment procedures. For instance, it can very well be undertaken along with medications or EECP.
- Treatment can be provided even for inaccessible ischemic myocardial areas.
Who can be benefitted?
- Those who have undergone surgery procedures but still reel under the problem of angina.
- Patients who are suffering from refractory angina or ischemic heart failure
- Those who do not wish to undergo surgery at any cost
- Patients who are not eligible for surgery due to medical conditions.
Although ESMR is a relatively new technology in India for treating heart diseases, it has been in practice for several decades for the treatment of kidney stones. Poona Preventive Cardiology Centre is very much delighted to offer ESMR treatment in Punefor the benefit of patients, who are otherwise frustrated with surgery options.
If we do not take stern actions, unfortunately India would soon attain the title – heart disease capital of the world. But the good news is that by reducing the risk factors, you can drastically cut down the chances. Let us jointly fight CAD, the most dreaded disease.