What is angina pectoris pathophysiology?
Stable angina or angina pectoris refers to the pain in the chest that happens because of a lack of oxygen in the heart’s muscle tissues caused by other disorders. This is more likely to occur when the patient is exercising or standing in the cold.
- Pressure sensation or discomfort in the chest
- Pain in the chest radiating to the left arm, jaw, or shoulder.
What is EECP?
Enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP) is a non-invasive treatment for chronic stable angina. This FDA-approved outpatient therapy is recommended when the heart patient suffering from angina does not qualify for catheter-based coronary stenting. It is an effective alternative to surgery for lowering the frequency and intensity of angina episodes.
When is EECP right for angina?
EECP is recommended to you if:
- You have had a coronary artery bypass
- You have stents placed in the coronary arteries with ongoing angina
- You are not eligible for bypass or stents
Angina treatment with EECP
EECP is a mechanical therapy that involves wrapping external inflatable cuffs around the patient’s legs.
During the treatment, the patient lies on the bed, and the cuffs are inflated and deflated in synchronization with each heartbeat.
Cuffs are inflated when the heart is contracting and deflated when the heart is relaxing and filled with blood. This is done with the help of a computer that uses the patient’s electro-diagram.
This helps in the upward movement of blood from the lower limbs to the heart, encouraging blood flow.
What are the benefits of EECP?
On multiple visits, EECP for angina has the following benefits:
- Improved anginal symptoms
- Improved blood flow to all organs
- Better peripheral arterial function
- More energy and reduced nitroglycerin use in patients
- Relief from chest pain and better exercise tolerance
Poona Preventive Cardiology Centre is a renowned clinic in Pune where we offer a wide range of non-surgical treatments to treat cardiovascular diseases. Our clinically approved techniques are based on preventive cardiology principles and can effectively treat common disorders such as coronary artery disease and peripheral vascular disease. So if you also want to avoid risky surgeries like bypass and seek angina treatment with EECP, book an appointment with us today.