The main goal of any Preventive Cardiologist is to avert heart attacks and strokes. Initially it may seem to be an easy task to prevent them. The following are the major causes for vascular disease
- High blood pressure
- High levels of cholesterol
What is Preventive Cardiology?
It is an integral part of the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine which caters to the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Poona Preventive Cardiology Centre offers optimal Preventive Cardiology treatment in Pune and provides a wide range of preventive cardiology programs: clinical, research and educational which primarily focuses on reducing death and disability from vascular and heart disease.
What is the Need for Preventive Cardiology?
Preventive Cardiology helps those who already have heart and vascular disease and also those who are at high risk of developing heart diseases.
How does Preventive Cardiology help cardiac and vascular patients?
Preventive Cardiology helps to promote the well being of the vascular and cardiac patients both during the course of treatment in hospitals and also during the process of recovery. It is overall a lifelong preventive and rehabilitation method. The programs included under Preventive Cardiology can be listed as follows:
- Nutritional services or Preventive Cardiology Nutrition Program
- Prescriptive exercise programs
- Stress testing
- Effectively reducing the risk of Multiple cardiovascular disease
- Vascular Medicine and Rehabilitation program
- Promoting health of Women through a Comprehensive Cardiovascular Care
- Pediatric Preventive Cardiology
- Educational programs on cardio care for both patients and healthcare providers.
- Promotion of optimal life-style changes and medical management which help in:
- Prevent the occurrence and/or progression of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce the risk of future heart attack or stroke
- Reduce the need for future surgery
- Enhance quality of life by reducing symptoms
What are the programs included under Preventive Cardiology?
Poona Preventive Cardiology Centreincludes the following programs as part of the Preventive Cardiology program:
- Preventive cardiology clinics which include reduction of risks, nutrition centres, lipid and hypertension clinics
- Cardiac Rehabilitation of Inpatient and outpatient
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Screening Programs for vascular and risk factor,
- Stress testing exercise
- Counseling and prescription
- Smoking cessation
- Stress management
What are the types of Preventive Cardiology?
The need of the hour is to understand thoroughly and identify the causes of heart disease. This will definitely make the mission of prevention of cardiology diseases rather effortless. According to Dr Lenny Da Costa who is an accomplished Geriatrician Consultant, Preventive Cardiologist and also an anti-aging specialist at Poona Preventive Cardiology Centre, Preventive cardiology includes three stages:
- Primary Preventive Cardiology
- Secondary Preventive Cardiology
- Tertiary Preventive Cardiology
Primary Preventive Cardiology
In primary prevention, people are sensitized about the dangerous habits that have a serious impact on the heart. Primary prevention includes the following
- Making people avoid Cigarette Smoking
- Through non- cardiac modes of primary prevention like:
- Getting Vaccinations on time
- Practicing safe sex
- Reducing cholesterol level by using cholesterol lowering medicine
Secondary Preventive Cardiology
This refers to a preventive method wherein the physicians try to prevent the undesirable culmination of an already established disease. This includes the following:
- With reference to cardiovascular disease this would mean prevention of a bad outcome like stroke, heart attacks or sudden cardiac death. Such outcomes which can be fatal can be effectively prevented by stopping the progression of established subclinical asymptomatic coronary artery or cerebrovascular disease.
- The secondary preventive cardiology would include screening tests like bone densitometries and mammograms with regards to non-cardiovascular medicine.
Tertiary Preventive Cardiology
Tertiary Preventive cardiology is used for patients who have already experienced a hard outcome. Prevention is thus very important. This will help to prevent the occurrence of another event and avert any serious eventuality.
We are backed by a team of experienced and qualified doctors, nurses and a fully equipped hi-tech cardiology center. Providing optimal cardiovascular prevention through the process of risk assessment at all the above specified three stages forms an integral part of our preventive cardiology. We also ensure that subsequent strategic correction of these risks is resorted to which will thereby help to improve the overall health condition of the patients.